When considering Canadian hockey teams, it means looking at more than just the NHL teams.
Canada has made hockey one of their favourite sports. The Canadian government supports this as much as possible by encouraging different events. It is as a result of young players taking an interest in the game that has made the sport what it is today.
There have been so many teams added to the NHL that they have had to be separated off into divisions. The four divisions are the Atlantic, Metropolitan, Central, and Pacific.
The Canadian teams each belong to a division.
- Montreal Canadians: They play with the Eastern Conference, and they are recognized as the top Canadian team for winning the most Stanley Cups. When they are playing at home, they play in the Bell Center.
- Ottawa Senators: They are in the Atlantic Division for the Eastern Conference. Their home games are played in Ottawa at the Canadian Tire Center.
- Toronto Maple Leafs: Another team in the Atlantic Division. Home games are enjoyed at the Scotiabank Arena.
- Winnipeg Jets: Are part of the Western Conference in the Central Division.
- Calgary Flames: Are included in the Pacific Division of the Western Conference
- Edmonton Oilers: They are with the Pacific Division as well as the Calgary Flames.
- Vancouver Canucks: This team is also part of the Pacific Division.
Seven Canadian teams represent Canada in the NHL. It has got to the point where there are so many teams within the different divisions. For some who care to watch as many games as possible, they won’t find too many nights or days where they can’t enjoy the games.
Hockey in Canada is not only enjoyed by spectators for the NHL games; there are many other teams in other levels.